Monday, March 22, 2010

Weekend in Natchez - Part 1: Bisland House Bed & Breakfast

I've gotten so behind on my blogging! I guess I just haven't been in the mood to write lately. I'm going to try to do better about updating at least once or twice a week though. I'm not going to try to totally catch up, but I do want to post a detailed run down of our recent anniversary trip to Natchez, MS, because it's easy for me to use my blog for journaling in my scrapbook pages later. Gotta record it while it's fresh in my mind! :)

On March 11th, Brandon and I left our puppies with Mike & Jeannie (thanks again guys!!) and headed south toward Natchez. Our trip got off to bit of a rocky start. First, I caught Brandon's thumb in the trunk while we were loading up to leave. Then we stopped at Chick-Fil-A for dinner and as soon as we got back on the road, Brandon punched a hole through the bottom of his cup, which dumped an entire Diet Coke in his seat. There were a bazillion deer all the way down the Natchez Trace, which made me incredibly nervous. And we were both so sleepy that we had to keep taking turns driving. At 11:00, we finally arrived at Bisland House Bed & Breakfast and were warmly welcomed by our hostess and shown to our room. I felt so bad getting in so late!

I can't say enough good things about this bed & breakfast. The owners, Byron & Christine Tims, went above and beyond what I would expect at a B&B. In addition to the amazing breakfasts we were served each morning, there were home baked brownies and/or cookies set out every day, soft drinks & bottled water stocked in a small refrigerator for our use, and flavor packets for the water, if you so desired. Christine made sure everyone was comfortable, cleaned our room every day, and offered to make reservations for carriage rides or dinner. We were even served champagne one evening while sitting out on the front porch enjoying the beautiful weather!

The house itself is beautiful. It was built around 1904 and sits on Commerce Street, just a few blocks from downtown Natchez. The location was great because we were able to walk almost everywhere we went, and we felt totally safe, even late at night. There are several camellias out front, all of which were blooming while we were there. The inside is full of beautiful antiques. Here are some pictures of the house & our hosts.


Bisland House Sign


I loved the front porch!


Guest Book in Front Entrance


Beautiful Antiques


Entrance - Check out the beautiful stained glass windows!


Treats Out Each Day


Each morning, the table was set for breakfast with fresh fruit, a fire in the fireplace, and classical music playing in the background.


Christine's Amazing Bananas Foster French Toast


Byron & Christine Tims

Each of the three guest rooms at Bisland House is named. We stayed in the only room downstairs, Danielle's Room. Here are some pictures. (Click to enlarge.)


Door to Our Room


Our Beautiful Bed with Super Soft Sheets


Brandon Relaxing After We Finally Arrived


Our Cute Bathroom Vanity


Our Beautiful Sink


Bubble Bath in the Claw Foot Tub!


Beautiful Light Fixture Above Tub

I want to thank Byron & Christine again for being so hospitable and opening up their beautiful home to share with others. I'd highly recommend a stay at their bed & breakfast to anyone visiting Natchez, and we will definitely be back ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment